Next month marks two years since Tom & I moved in to our little two bed flat, as it turns out it wasn’t as much of a scary, earth shattering, life changing decision that I thought it would be, in fact it’s really good to have someone to share the chores with and someone you can sweet talk into making you a cup of tea on a Saturday morning. At first it can be a little shakey, letting someone invade your space and wreck your routines but after a while you realise that living with your best friend is so much fun, there are just a couple of things to learn along the way!
1. You will have to accommodate their stuff, it’s okay to lose the most hideous pieces in the move but there will be some things you have to make space for, Tom has to put up with my plants and I, his planes. The artwork behind our sofa shows our amalgamated tastes perfectly we have Boeing 747s sat next to Opuntia Polycantha cacti. You can make both of your tastes work together if you try; if he is a die-hard football fan then re-work their logo in monochrome and make an art print, if they are a musician, guitars look great hung on walls, make space for each others hobbies.
2. Most nights going out does not appeal as much as sitting in your pajamas eating a choc ice from a bowl and binge watching Netflix, it’s a lot less lame when there is someone on the sofa next to you slurping from their own ice cream bowl.
3. As much as you love your other half, you will do an internal cheer when he says ‘I’m out this evening’ because everyone needs a bit of personal time to something that makes you happy. Spending time apart gives you time to miss each other and things to chat about when you get back, being joint at the hip can be detrimental to a relationship.
4. It’s easy to get caught up in the tiny little details that really don’t matter, but it’s just as easy to let them go. So they leave the washing up on the side and insist on keeping a slimy bar of soap in the shower, when it comes to it they’ve got your back and that really is all that matters.
5. Although you might be ready to forgive your partner for the little things, be sure that they will make you very aware of the small habits you might have, prepare to be laughed at when they see you bleaching your facial hair (sassy) and scolded when you leave a wet towel on the floor (I still do this every single day) but the only way to deal with these issues is to joke about them, If my boyfriend is working away I will send him a snap of my post shower towel scrunched up on the floor, then I hang the towel to dry obvs!
Of course the best thing about living with your partner is that there is always someone to tell you when you have toothpaste around your mouth before you leave for work and yes you will have to make changes, but not as many as you think! Hey, you moved in with your best friend for a reason and I’m guessing that reason is love so you can forgive them this once for leaving a toenail clipping in the bathroom!